Saturday 8 November 2014

Is it cold in here?


It is getting cold outside here in the UK and the mealworms resident in the couple of boxes that I have out there may struggle to develop outside of their comfort zone of circa 30 degrees. However, I will find it useful to see just how slowly they grow compared to the ones in the toasty airing cupboard.

I have actually taken great pleasure in watching the 'dust'-like larvae grow into the more familiar "worm" (they are still six-legged insects) stage. Some time-lapse footage helps show the different maturity of the larvae.






The less fortunate mealworms that I have started harvesting will be finding it exceptionally cold in the freezer.

In the next month I will be able to use those mealworms in recipes that I have been given by my work colleagues in the highly recommended 'The Insect Cookbook'. I will whip up such dishes as insect Dim Sum; Chili con (insect) Carne; insect vols-au-vent and mealworm cookies. I have been doing the groundwork with friends, family and work colleagues to prepare them for acting as my guinea pigs for which types of offerings are the easiest to get used to, taste the best, look the nicest and basically resemble most familiar meals.

I see it as my task to try and find some easily-accessible routes for the more squeamish side of us to explore eating insects. If you have any ideas of how you'd like to try mealworms then drop a comment below.

There have actually been good signs that the main barrier to the development of insects as a foodstuff in Europe - our psychological aversion - could be less of a problem than predicted. A recent survey shows that the population in parts of Western Europe (in Belgium) are receptive to the idea of eating insects if they are integrated with familiar flavours.

And recently in the US they held a Bugs and Beer  event in San Diego - a great way to try insects, while enjoying a tipple (or eight!).

No comments:

Post a Comment